Saturday, May 17, 2014

Puff Pancakes for Grumpy Mornings (A Rhubarb Sauce Recipe)

The sunshine last until late in the evening and greats us early in the morning.  We have been digging in the garden, running through the sprinkler, chasing our adolescent chickens and before I know it, the kids are up too late again and when I wake them up they are grumpy. 

On morning like these I have a favorite breakfast recipe: puff pancakes

I drag myself down the stairs, preheat the oven, melt the butter, mix the batter, and while the pancakes bake I wrestles kids out of pajamas, into clothes and comb sleep tangles out of hair. 


When the timer beeps we have perfectly puffy pancakes. 

The more often I have made these the more I have explored possible puff pancake combinations and the options are endless.  Here are my favorites:

1. Thin slices of Apples and Brie added to the butter while the oven preheats. 



The results are less puffy, but delicious with a drizzle of maple syrup. 


 2. A cup of thawed and drained Flathead Cherries added to the bottom of the pan, just before the batter is poured in:


The cherries juice and is beautiful dusted with powdered sugar. 

3.  My current favorite is the basic puff pancake served with Rhubarb Sauce, picked from the rhubarb plant along the front fence of our yard.  It is fresh and sweet and tart.


Rhubarb Sauce

2 cups of rhubarb, chopped
3/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of sugar (or a little less - I usually start with 1/4 cup and keep adding until it tastes right)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 

- combine rhubarb, water and sugar in a sauce pan and simmer over medium/low heat until the rhubarb falls apart when stirred and the mixture resembles applesauce. 



The kids glare, wine and complain: they want plain puff pancakes. I serve them plain puff pancakes and on the edge of the plate I set a dab of sauce.  They gingerly, reluctantly, give it a try and then reach for the ladle and spoon their own helping onto the plate. 

I sip my coffee. 
A perfect cure for a grumpy morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time in Lists

Every morning I make a list of three things that made me happy the day before. A practice I started when life became crazy - and that was a ...