Tuesday, January 7, 2014

One Knitting Project I Did Not Get Done for Christmas (DIY: Scalloped Edge Knitted Little Girl Legwarmers)

I turned the pages of every knitting book I own.
I looked through half a dozen knitting books from the library.
I scrolled through pages of free patterns on the internet.

I wasted time.

Ivory had picked out purple grey yarn weeks before at the store.
 I was planning to knit her socks.
"Mama can you knit me legwarmers?"  She asked one evening.
Of course.  Legwarmers made perfect sense.
They would span the distance between the ends of all those size four leggings that fit her waist but come nowhere close to her ankles.

No pattern for legwarmers.
No more wasting time.
I just started knitting: guessing here and there and finally coming up with a pattern that features a scallop on the top edge, super stretchy ribbing on the leg and a super stretch (new to me) bind off.

I didn't get them done for Christmas, but I did get them done for the first day back to school.


Materials:

1 Skein Premier Yarns, Serenity Sock Weight, 50% Superwash Merino 
wool, 25% Rayon made from Bamboo and 25% Nylon, Color: DN125-02 (Violas)

1 set of size 2 double pointed needles (gauge is 32 stitches by 42 rows for a 4 inch square on size 2 needles)

How to:

This pattern is worked in the round on double pointed needles...   like a sock with no heal or foot.  
  • cast on 49 stitches, distribute on 3 double pointed needles
  • round 1: purl, place stitch marker at end of row
Scalloped Edge:
  • round 2: *p2, yo, k1, sl 2 as if to k2tog, k1, p2sso, k1, yo; repeat from*
  • round 3: *p2, k5; repeat from *
  • repeat round 2 and 3 until the 8th round (this is a pattern row)
Ribbed Leg:
  • on round 9 switch to *p2, k2, p1, k2; repeat from *  
  • repeat this for an additional 74 rounds
  • reduce the pattern by *p2, k2, k2tog, k1; repeat until round is complete
  • for the next 9 rounds *p2, k4
Stretchy Bind-off (is a must!!!!)
And she promptly snagged them on the playground. 

Next time I think I will make these for her out of a chunkier, less dainty yarn...  (The pattern can be adjusted in multiples of seven to preserve that scallop edge). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time in Lists

Every morning I make a list of three things that made me happy the day before. A practice I started when life became crazy - and that was a ...