Life has been busy - incredibly busy. In between running errands, loading kilns and my monthly coop shift I sat down for a few minutes to make ornaments with Ivory and Sylvan. These are quick. They are simple enough even for Sylvan to remain engaged through out the duration of the craft.
Materials:assorted colors of felt pieces
- I ask the kids to choose their colors and then I cut the shapes for them: 1 set of leaves (or more if desired), 2 flowers, 2 stars and 2 small circles.
- The flowers, stars and circles are cut while holding two sheets of felt together
- Make a loop out of ribbon and tack the open end together
- String the large flower, the star and the small circle onto the needle (Sylvan can do this with assistance, Ivory on her own)
- Scrunch them down against the loop and return the needle to the center through the flower, tacking the stack of felt to the loop
- String the remaining flower, star and circle in the same order and scrunch against the backside of the first flower
- Sew through all the layers of felt a few more times tacking them together and tie off the thread.
The finished ornaments.
I am trying to talk the kids into making more to use as gift tags... but of course they don't want to give any of them away.