Monday, September 2, 2013

Egg-less! Apple Cider Pancakes

A small piece of paper torn form a Red Lion Hotels notepad has been floating around my kitchen for the better part of two weeks.
It has been clothes pinned to my cooling rack above my kitchen counter. 
It has been shuffled under papers on the catch all corner. 
It has been used almost daily for the last week and a half.
I am afraid I am going to lose it in the shuffle.
Scribbled on it is a recipe for Egg-less Apple Cider Pancakes.
A recent experiment that turned out to be fantastic. 

Ivory, Sylvan, a few more kiddos (10 total), two mamas and I gathered the early fruits of a transparent apple tree, passed them through the hopper and pressed fresh apple cider. 

This left me with a giant bowl of sweet, fresh and delicious cider.
We sipped cups of the thick juice, but eventually the kids stopped asking for it and I still had a bowl full left.  
What to do with all that juice taking up valuable space in my fridge? 

The solution: make pancakes.

and more pancakes

and more pancakes. 

These are what Ivory has been asking me to make for breakfast before school. (SCHOOL!?!?!?!? How is that possible?) 

They are quick, vegan, have no additional sugar and are a hit with my family. 

Of course, since I don't actually adhere to a vegan or sugar free diet I promptly covered them with sour cream and maple syrup (maple syrup counts as sugar right?) ... but hey, there are other options for toppings.  

Picture to come soon. 
The camera is currently under the house in my husband's pocket... where he is replacing the bottle jacks that are currently supporting the new beams running under our kitchen with posts.  I have no desire to crawl down there at this moment.

Here is the picture (only a week later):


Egg-less! Apple Cider Pancakes

1 1/4 cup apple cider
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt 
2 teaspoons baking powder
  • cook as you would any other pancake.  

Floor update:
I just jumped on the kitchen floor.  It didn't bounce and nothing rattled!  Amazing!!!!  



1 comment:

  1. Interesting recipe. May have to try it some time to find out how it tastes.

    Great that the floor no longer shakes!

    Love,
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete

Time in Lists

Every morning I make a list of three things that made me happy the day before. A practice I started when life became crazy - and that was a ...