Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Peanut Butter and Cereal: 5 WIC Ingredient Based Recipes

I remember walking the home from my first WIC appointment. I felt happy and proud. I had taken the initiative and was contributing something to the well being of my family.  Over the next two years we have walked through the tunnel or over the pedestrian bridge to check in, say hi, weigh the kids, annually measure iron levels and print out new vouchers.  I look forward to the visits - because - I get to chat about kids and food with folks that deal with kids and food.
I don't feel that using the vouchers is difficult.  I just try to come up with a way of using this resource in a manner that is compatible with the nutritional goals that I have established for myself and my family. (No Corn Syrup, No Hydrogenated Oils, as much real, unprocessed food as possible)  Along the way I have tried many different things. Some of those things I have not repeated: African Ground Nut Stew for example - good - but we have some peanut butter based recipes that have been more well received and appear on our menu frequently.
Some things don't require recipes - Peanut butter, banana and honey sandwich on whole wheat bread - why not?

So here are a few peanut butter based recipes (I use the brand Adam's both chuncky and creamy) and a few recipes to use up some of that cereal.

My little boy has grown so much...  a one year old Sylvan (practically a baby) getting into the cheerios

1. Peanut Sauce and Steamed Vegetables

3 Tablespoons oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
  • saute in saucepan until the onions are soft and transparent 
  • add
3 1/2 cups hot water or vegetable stock
1 cup peanut butter (WIC item)
2 bay leaves
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
dash of hot sauce (optional)
  • stir until everything is well blended 
  • serve with steamed vegetables (cabbage, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, etc), or fresh cucumbers and radishes, hard boiled eggs are also great (WIC item)
  • if you want a meat option, strips of grilled chicken are delicious

2. Rice Noodles with Peanut Sauce

8 ounces rice stick noodles
  • cook according to package directions
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (WIC item)
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground Red Pepper (optional)
1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • combine ingredients and whisk until smooth
Steamed Vegetables (WIC item)
  • pour the peanut sauce over the noodles, it is always an option to add a few steamed vegetables

3. Curry 

Over the past decade my husband and I have made many, many versions of "curry".  My earliest memory of cooking curry together is in my mom's kitchen.  Adam, his best friend and I jostling around each other in her narrow kitchen. Chopping, scooping, smelling and tasting.  "You're really going to put a banana in that?"  He did.  And it was delicious.  Each and every time it is different and wonderful and so I will give you the basic guidelines of what I do....  the only change I have made since my college days is that it no longer is burn-your-face-off-spicy and that I leave the chopsticks in the drawer and serve the dish with forks and spoons. 

Choose some vegetables - 3 or 4 (WIC Item):
Onion
Bell pepper
Mushrooms
Carrots
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Eggplant 
Zucchini
Spinach
Kale 
  • put some oil in the pan, when it is hot add onions and the toughest vegetables first (carrots, eggplant,etc,)  add mushrooms a bit later and leafy greens last 
1 can coconut milk
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce 
1/4 cup peanut butter (WIC item)
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar, Honey or a ripe banana 
1 Teaspoons oregano
1 Teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon ginger 
2 Tablespoons of Green or Red Curry Paste (more or less to taste)
soy sauce, salt and pepper (to taste) 
fresh basil (optional)
  • all measurements are approximate - add these and then let simmer until the vegetables reach the desired tenderness add fresh basil
  • serve with over brown rice (WIC item) 

4. Puppy Chow (a very special snack at our house)

9 cups Rice and Corn Chex
  • pour check into a very large bowl
  • in a saucepan on the stove mix
1 cup chocolate chip cookies
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
  • remove from heat and stir in
1 teaspoon vanilla
  • pour the mixture over the cereal while stirring gently with a spatula
  • once the cereal is evenly coated stir in just enough powdered sugar to keep the chex from sticking together
about 1 cup powdered sugar

5. Baked Chicken

heat up the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit

2 cups Corn Chex
  • put the corn chex into a zip lock back, squeeze the air out and seal
  • hand the bag and a wooden spoon to your little helper and let them smash the chex into small crumbs
  • while they are smashing away, melt together
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • with a basting brush coat 8 chicken drumsticks
  • pour the smashed chex into a pie plate and roll the drumsticks until will coated
  • place on a greased pan and bake for about 50 minutes

KITCHEN HINT: Smashed corn or rice chex can be substituted in any recipe calling for bread crumbs 


More WIC Recipies here:



1 comment:

  1. Sylvan with the Cheerios. Now that's a man after my own heart!!!

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete

Time in Lists

Every morning I make a list of three things that made me happy the day before. A practice I started when life became crazy - and that was a ...