Friday, March 29, 2013

Spinach Soup

Last night's dinner was a surprising success.  I did not expect to watch the kids spoon the soup into their mouths - without a single complaint.  I even received complements.  That is rare out of the mouths of my children when dealing with anything spinach that I thought I would share the recipe.  (Sorry, no picture...)

Spinach Soup 


4 slices bacon
  • fry bacon, remove from pan and set aside
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
  • saute onion and then add
1 teaspoon salt 
6 medium potatoes, chopped 
3 boullion cubes
3 cups water
2 Tablespoons butter
  • simmer until the potatoes are soft
  • take half of the soup, blend it, and return it back to the pot
3 Tablespoons flour
3 cups water 
  • whisk the flour into the water and add to the soup, then bring to a boil
3 ounces cream cheese
2 cups chopped, frozen spinach
dash of nutmeg and pepper
  • stir in cream cheese and spinach, add nutmeg and ginger
  • when the cream cheese is melted the soup is done
  • crumble the bacon and top the bowls 
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano (optional)
  • top each bowl with a little grated cheese
I served the Spinach Soup with Herbed Sweet Potato Biscuits from my new favorite cookbook Essential Eating Sprouted Baking.  It was a delightfully colorful meal!


1 comment:

Time in Lists

Every morning I make a list of three things that made me happy the day before. A practice I started when life became crazy - and that was a ...