Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Counting down to Bedtime - My Bedtime (and a Granola Recipe)

The day has been creeping.

The moment I woke up I wanted to pull the covers back over my shoulders.
I am on a string of late nights, and Sylvan is a string of sleepless early morning hours, so while my shelf at the clay studio is crowded with an increasing number of mugs and cups, my body is telling me to just stop and go to bed - I didn't listen and now have a cold.


Last night I didn't crawl into bed until 1:30, Sylvan woke up before I managed to fall asleep, and I watched every hour pass on the clock across the room.  I nursed, changed his diaper, Adam got water, I took Sylvan to the bathroom, when he started screaming: "Pee, Pee!" at the top of his lungs.  I considered trying to convince him to go in his diaper, and decided that that would be counter productive to the potty training effort.

I dragged myself out of bed, got myself and the kids dressed and staggered down the stairs for a quick breakfast before we drove across the Y to Ivory's Rookie Sports Class.  Thank goodness we actually had a quick breakfast on hand - home made granola, dried fruit and honey yogurt.  My entire day has been marking tasks off of my list with the goal of getting closer to bed.  Class done - check.  Lunch done - check. Nap time done - check.  Laundry folded - check.  Dinner in the oven - check.

We are in the gray zone between dinner and bedtime, and I fully intend to crawl into my bed just as soon as the the kiddos are snug in their's.

There is one think I have been intending to do: share the Granola Recipe.

Almond Honey Granola

  • preheat oven to 250 degrees 
2 cups whole wheat flour
5 cups rolled oats
1 cup almond slivers, chopped small
1 cup coconut
1 cup wheat germ
  • combine in a large mixing bowl
1/2 cup water
1 cup oil
1 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons salt


  • blend in separate bowl and pour over the mixture of dried ingredients, mix thoroughly
  • spread out on two cookie sheets and bake for 1 hour
  • cool, store in covered container
  • serve with chopped dried apricots or raisins and yogurt 
Post done - check!
Goodnight. 

1 comment:

  1. Good night...and hope you all get some sleep!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Time in Lists

Every morning I make a list of three things that made me happy the day before. A practice I started when life became crazy - and that was a ...