Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Results of the Soda Fire... and Onions

I posted images of the soda fire results here: at my new Sticks&Stones Workshop site.

In addition to getting ready for the Holiday MADE fair (Dec. 9th from 11am - 6pm), I have been cooking dinner, keeping the house (some what) clean and trying to mark a few of those other nagging projects off of my list.

I finally sewed two fabric baskets that I have been intending to sew for eons.  My sewing machine has been stashed away for months now because Sylvan can not resist climbing onto my lab and turning all the dials and pushing the few buttons while it is in use.
 

That dilapidated little cardboard box held Ivory's shoes and then Sylvan's as well and moved with us not, one, but two times and it is finally being recycled.  In it's place there are now two fabric baskets: one for Ivory's shoes and one for Sylvan's.  They took me only a few hours to make and were absolutely free.  I inherited the fabric when we bought our house

Adam has been spending countless hours out back in the wood shop, cutting and gluing, cutting and sanding, and finally polishing the cutting boards he is making for the MADE fair.  Somewhere amid the hustle and bustle he still manages to come inside, dust off his clothes, wash his hands and help me fix dinner.

Last night he took over making the Naan, while I made an Indian dish called Royal Tomatoes. Having both of us work together cuts down the prep-time dramatically, and best of all, divides the daunting task of cutting up the many onions that are the key ingredient of both dishes.  We dance around each other, in and out of the small space that is in front of our stove.


Ivory was skeptical off the Royal Tomatoes, (she is in an anti-tomato phase, except for ketchup, but agreed the paneer was yummy), and tore into the Naan.  This is a girl that only thinks she doesn't like onions!

Soon dinner is ready and eaten, the dishes are washed, the kids bathed and Adam back in the wood shop and I am putting the finishing stitches on a fabric box.  Life is busy, but as long as we can  share dinner, and share cutting up all those onions, we will be just fine!

Naan (a flat bread from central Asia)

(we double this recipe) from the 1987 edition of Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of

3 tablespoons butter
1 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 to 2 cups flour


  • cook the onions with 1 tablespoon butter unil they are soft but not brown
  • cool to room temperature
  • melt the remaining butter, combine the butter, water, onions, salt and flour (1/2 cup at a time) until the dough forms a ball
  • add flour until it is no longer sticky
  • divide into 8 small balls and roll to be about 6" across.  
  • fry on a dry skillet over high heat, turning once.  Both sides should be browned.

Royal Tomatoes

1/2 cup cubed Paneer (I make my own the day before...  it is super easy)
1 pinch tumeric
  • put in bowl and cover with water and add the tumeric
oil
2 finely chopped onions
1 teaspoon ginger 
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon garam masala (I use
cardamon, cinamon - a nice big sprinkle of each
14 ounces diced tomatoes
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup half and half
  • fry the onions in oil until they start to turn orange, add the spices, add the tomatoes and sugar and cook until it boils and simmer for 5 min
  • blend and add the cream
  • stir in the paneer, let it warm and serve with Naan (or over rice, I just prefer Naan)
Enjoy!!!






4 comments:

  1. I know whose daughter she is.
    Onions had to be pureed for her mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Naan. I'm going to try this...someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. or you should just have Adam make it for you next time we or you visit! He is pretty good at it.

      Delete
    2. Paneer reminds me of the "cheese" my Swedish grandfather made.

      Grandma

      Delete

Time in Lists

Every morning I make a list of three things that made me happy the day before. A practice I started when life became crazy - and that was a ...