Monday, October 15, 2012

Divide and Conquer - Sunday

Over our Sunday morning cups of coffee Adam and I penciled a list for the day.  Our list had a few chores around the house, but was mostly comprised of delicious food things to make and bake.  The weather is cool and wet and it is planting season again.  This means our Sundays are full of food preparations and our week days are spent apart.  

I ran off to the grocery store to pick up a few things while Adam tackled the first food item: Caramel Rolls. 


While Adam picked up things around the yard, I rolled up  my sleeves and crumbled together butter and flour to make pie crusts.  I picked the meat off of the bones of last night's roasted chicken, baked butternut squash, boiled sweet potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and broccoli, wilted kale, crumbled up bacon to make my version of the Big Sky Pie that I found in the Missoula Magazine (Page 10) last winter.    


Adam started the Braided Swish Cheese Loaves while I placed layers of potato, bacon and sauteed onions into the remaining pie crust and poured the egg mixture over it: quiche.  Yum.  I turned my attentions to Sunday nights dinner: Butternut Squash Soup (with apples and leeks!).

A clean kitchen and two sleeping kids later, Adam was still rolling eggroll after eggroll, rotating the baking sheets through the oven.  I slipped outside to pull a few more vegetables out of the garden for my last dish of the day: Kale Salad (Slaw?).


At 11:45 pm we finally wiped our hands, stuck the last few things into the fridge, packed up all the non-refrigerated items for the morning and snuggled up to watch an episode of our new favorite TV show Parenthood
.
When I woke up to take Sylvan to the bathroom at three in the morning, it hardly felt like I had closed my eyes at all.  I vaguely remember Adam bending over the bed to kiss me goodbye.  I snuggled back up to my little baby boy and fell soundly asleep.  By the time Ivory crawled into bed with me Adam had been gone for hours.

We warm up some of the caramel rolls for breakfast and as I grabed the half and half out of the fridge I scrunched down to examine the empty spaces on the shelves.  "Good, I think to myself.  He didn't forget any of the food."

Kale Salad (or Slaw?)

2 bunches of Kale, washed and chopped
2 large carrots, grated
4 small beets, grated
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 apple, finely chopped
1/2 cup of raisins
1/2 cup of walnuts
feta cheese (optional)

Dressing
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoon maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste
  • combine the dressing ingredients, blend well
  • prepare the kale, carrots, beets, onion and apple and pour dressing over
  • massage the dressing into the kale mixture, use your hands or two wooden spoons
  • stir in walnuts and raisins
  • let sit a little while, and serve topped with feta 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time in Lists

Every morning I make a list of three things that made me happy the day before. A practice I started when life became crazy - and that was a ...