Monday, October 8, 2012

Autumn = Lots of Green Tomatoes

Just a week ago Sylvan was still running around in nothing but a diaper.


Ivory was lounging in the sunshine.


The leaves all around turning every color but green.


I hugged the largest Western Larch in the United States!
A few days later I marched through my garden bed full of wonderful volunteer tomatoes. I picked red tomatoes, yellow tomatoes and many more green tomatoes.  I lugged a giant box inside.
The next night we dragged all those indoor plants that lived outdoors all summer inside.  They now crowd the kitchen table and the space under the window.
The cold sent me unpacking.
Pulling all the winter coats and hats and gloves out of their hiding places. Snow pants and boots and coats were tried on and either hung on their hooks or put in bags to be passed on to the next lucky children to wear them.

Suddenly it is autumn.

The sky is blue and clear (no smoke).


The buckeyes are just about to rain down from the trees.


We rode our bike to the park wearing gloves!



  
 It is fried green tomato time: Fresh and tart, just like the weather.


It is Green Tomato Relish Time!


It is Green Tomato Pie Time!



The house plants are slowly migrating from the kitchen and finding homes in light filled spaces throughout our home.  In my giant box of green tomatoes only a few stragglers remain.  We are caught up in the busy hubbub of changing seasons, and wearing a few more clothes.  




Green Tomato Pie Filling

6 cups of thinly sliced firm green tomatoes
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2 Tablespoons butter

  • combine the tomatoes, sugar, flour, corn starch and spices in a bowl until evenly coated
  • melt butter in large saucepan and add the tomatoes
  • cook until the mixture boils and thickens
  • let cool 
  • bake the finished pie for 45 minutes at 375 degrees



2 comments:

  1. I love green tomato pie!!! And don't forget green tomato cake!!

    Love,
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a Green Tomato Spice Cake for a pot luck I went to (with Caramel Icing) and it was a hit! Everyone was amazed that it had green tomatoes in it. I can't wait until next fall.

      Delete

Time in Lists

Every morning I make a list of three things that made me happy the day before. A practice I started when life became crazy - and that was a ...