Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Beet and Onion Tart

I spent the evening sitting at the ceramics studio, teasing the clay into what will hopefully become a tall, free standing sculpture.  When I arrived home the dinner dishes were still stacked by the sink, the house mostly picked up and I found Adam, Ivory and Sylvan all cuddled up in the same bed.  I resisted the urge to wash the dishes and decided instead to put together this post that has been haunting me ever since I baked my Beet and Onion Tart a few days ago.  

There is something so indescribably gratifying about being able to pull a plant from the ground, carry it to the kitchen table and share it with family and friends.  Being able to make an entire meal from ingredients almost entirely from the garden is even better.  


I pulled yellow and red onions from the ground and beets with nice lush greens, and as most times when I walk back into the house with my harvest, my cookbooks lacked an option that utilized these plants in their entirety.  After staring at my pile of vegetables for a while, I asked Adam to make a single pie crust while I chopped up the vegetables, and this is what we enjoyed for dinner an hour later:

Beet and Onion Tart

7 small red and yellow onions (and some of the leaves)
4 small to medium sized beets (and all of the greens)
4 ounces feta cheese
salt 
pepper 
balsamic vinegar
oil
1 pie crust
  • preheat the oven to 375 degrees
  • cut the onions into rings and caramelize.  Wile the onions are cooking prepare the other ingredients.
  • cut as many green onions as you wish to sprinkle on top of the tart, set aside 
  • chop the beets into small and thin pieces (an alternative would be to use already roasted beets) set aside
  • chop the beet greens into small pieces, set aside as well
  • roll out the pie crust and transfer to a cookie sheet
  • brush with oil
  • layer the caramelized onions, beet greens, beet pieces, feta and green onions in that order
  • sprinkle with balsamic vinigar, oil and salt and pepper
  • fold the edges of the dough over the toppings and brush with oil
  • bake for 45 minutes



There was nothing left.  Even Ivory, who initially resisted, cleaned her plate.  Next time I think I might just make two crusts, pull a few more onions, a few more beets and make it a beet and caramelized onion pie!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Time in Lists

Every morning I make a list of three things that made me happy the day before. A practice I started when life became crazy - and that was a ...