We have one giant kitchen window. It happens to face our neighbor's yard. It also happens to be across from the bathroom door and thus makes running through the house in our underwear, well, a little too public.
Friday Adam came home from work early, and while my two little ones were asleep, I took the opportunity to run to our local YWCA thrift shop Secret Seconds. I scored! I found a brand new curtain rod and a dark green, sheer curtain for $16.
But, after hanging the curtain, it was a little to dark and bland.
I took it back down and headed into the garage to see if I could find the left over kitchen paint (light yellow and orange). I found it and decided I was going to use it to spruce up the curtain.
So, here is what you need if you want to sponge paint a curtain:
1 large sponge (or more)
a plastic plate
big sheets of paper (to protect the surface you are working on)
I cut my large sponge turning one third into a circle stamp and the other two thirds into a rough oval shape. I poured the yellow and orange paint onto a plastic plate and then pressed the stamps into their designated colors. I blotted the stamps onto paper to make sure that the paint was evenly distributed.
I pressed the orange circle onto the fabric and then used the oval stamp to form flowers with either six or seven petals. The first stamp was saturated with paint, and I just continued stamping the petals without reloading, allowing for a gradation of yellow petals.
The final flower count was seven yellow flowers (two of which had six petals) and three orange flowers with yellow centers. I just washed out the sponges, squeezed them out well, and switched colors.
Adam helped me carry the curtain panel out side, and we laid it across the chicken coop roof to dry.
And there it is: hanging up.. the mess all cleaned up. The entire thing took less than an hour and this curtain is definitely more lively.
This was a fun and easy DIY project and the possibilities are endless.
Now I just need to make a curtain tieback to match.