Sunday, September 25, 2011

Looking for a Tinge of Romance and Passion


    Sylvan is sleeping, and Ivory is successfully (so far) struggling to keep her sleepy eyes open. Adam is puttering around in the kitchen packing up supplies for the up coming week. It is Sunday evening and after far to few nights together, he is getting ready to head off to work at 7 in the morning. He is coming back... Thursday?

Night time can be overwhelming.

The dogs are lacking their walks.

     But, while Adam is out of town I get to cook as many beets as I would like. This is an opportunity of which I have not been taking adequate advantage.


Experiment Number 1:

Roasted Beets with a Apple Sour Cream Sauce

6 medium sized beets
oil

a hand full of beet leaves
1 cup of apple juice
½ cup of sour cream

I cut the beets into wedges (so that Ivory could dip them in the sauce. She loves to dip things), tossed them in oil, threw them on a cookie sheet and baked them at 375 for 45min.
While the beets were baking, I reduced the apple juice to a third of its original volume, adding a hand full of beet leaves. Then I blended the sour cream, leaves and apple juice together, and it turned into a delightfully pink, if some what runny, sauce.


     The final verdict: well, Ivory ate beet after beet, dipping them in the pink sauce... and so did I, but I wished that I had more things to put the apple sour cream sauce on: sweet potatoes or Butternut squash maybe? This experiment needs a few more revisions before I try it out on someone other than a three year old.

     The apple trees are full of delicious fruit and there quite a few beets still tucked into my raised garden beds. I want the taste of brisk winds, bright sun, warm scarves, musky leaves, hints of coming snow and warm furnaces with just a tinge of romance and passion.  Maybe this time, while Adam is away, in the mess of laughter, tears, apple picking, plum canning, diapers, baths, hair brushing, hugging and cuddling, in between my kitchen counter and the stove, I can find just that. 
     

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these delicious moments with us. I remember binging on red beets as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found an add on craigslist today for FREE beets. This lady was cleaning out her garden. I am going to pickle beets for the first time tomorrow ( I hope). They are going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Time in Lists

Every morning I make a list of three things that made me happy the day before. A practice I started when life became crazy - and that was a ...